Search This Blog

Friday, November 6, 2020

Cat Connections

While shopping with friends the other day, I ran across Writers and their Cats by Alison Nastase, and being a writer with a cat, I had to buy it. In no way do I consider my work to be on a par with Hemingway, Sylvia Plath, Alice Walker, or the other 42 writers in this book, but wandering through the 100 pages was pure delight for a cat lover like me.

Each of the book’s one-page cat tales is accompanied by a picture of the writer along with one or more cats (Jiro Osaragi with eight). I sometimes worry I love my cat too much, so it was affirming to learn my obsession is shared by people I respect.

What is it, I asked while reading the book, that draws writers to cats? Ursula K. Le Guin’s answer to my question was, “Maybe because writers don’t want to have to stop writing and walk the dog?” Although this made perfect sense to me, I believe there is a deeper connection, one kindled by several traits writers and cats have in common.

Curiosity

Is there a box or anything new brought into a house that a cat won’t investigate? Curiosity may kill the cat, but it is essential to good writing—what motivates the protagonist? why is a small town riddled with ghosts? which battle was the real turning point in a war?

Independence

Cats may like to cuddle, but only when and with whom they wish. Like writers, they spend huge chunks of time by themselves—cats sleeping, writers embroiled in their work. Neither species is happy when their solitude is interrupted.

Cleverness

Astute writers keep their readers turning pages by creating suspense, humor, pathos and clever plot twists. Cats learn to recognize the sound of the garage door opening and how to open the cupboard where their food is kept. They also know what it means when a suitcase appears on the bed.

Routine

I don’t know if I or my cat established our morning routine, but every day begins with her first drink of water out of the faucet followed by catnip, then kibble and a tiny spoonful of cream cheese. If I forget a step she refuses to eat. Being a plodding writer, I absolutely must stick to a daily routine in order to carve out enough time to write. Professional writers are equally protective of their writing schedules.

Intuition

Writers must be able to discern people’s feelings in order to create convincing characters and realistic dialogue. Similarly, cats often display an awareness of human moods. Some, like Dewey Readmore Books, the Spencer, Iowa library cat, always seem to know when someone needs a little attention.

Patience

Cats are willing to wait long periods of time for the perfect moment to pounce on their prey. My Kiki spends hours curled up on a chair in the den while I search for the perfect word or combinations of words and then revise, revise, revise. Finally, when I think my work is ready to submit, my patience is tested further while I wait, often for months, for a response from the publisher.

                                     

No comments:

Post a Comment