Search This Blog

Sunday, March 6, 2022

Heteronyms

Heteronyms are words that are spelled the same but have more than one meaning. They are one of  many idiosyncrasies in the English language that make it a challenge to master. Listed below are a few examples. The haphazard nature of heteronyms becomes even more apparent when they appear in the same sentence.

The insurance card the INVALID showed to the receptionist was INVALID.

I winced when the nurse WOUND a bandage around my WOUND.

During mating season, a buck DOES bizarre things when DOES are around.

I shed many a TEAR when I saw the TEAR in my new blouse.

A farmer needs rich soil to PRODUCE organic PRODUCE.

The recycler's bins were already so full of REFUSE, he had to REFUSE what I brought.

I was too CLOSE to the cupboard door to CLOSE it.

The Captain could LEAD us to our bivouac if we would just get the LEAD out.

I did not OBJECT to the ridiculous OBJECT he gave me for Christmas. 

No time like the PRESENT, the young man decided, to PRESENT his girlfriend with a PRESENT.

Let's face it - English is verbal insanity.
.


No comments:

Post a Comment