Search This Blog

Sunday, June 5, 2022

The Goose Girl's New Ribbon

Much of my writing is inspired by my interest in history, especially that of my family. My latest venture into self-publishing, The Goose Girl's New Ribbon, developed from bits and pieces of my Bohemian mother's life growing up on a farm in South Dakota during the Great Depression. Since the protagonist is a ten-year-old girl, and the historically accurate story is full of teachable moments, I thought I might find a children's magazine eager to publish it. 

I soon discovered children's publications can't use stories that run over 9,000 words. Some were interested in publishing my story as a children's book, however I had just broken ties with the publisher of my second novel and didn't want to go that route again. I truly liked my story, shocking for someone who finds fault with everything she writes, so I decided to self-publish it as a children's book. The Goose Girl's New Ribbon will most likely be my only children's book.

I love to write but hate to promote. About the only time I make an effort to sell copies of my books is at holiday bazaars. I sometimes tell myself I'm too old to be hawking my work, but I enjoy these small "craft fairs" where the other vendors are friendly and the people who stop by are looking for Christmas gifts. Covid-19 stopped these events for two holiday seasons. This year, when November finally rolls around, I will have a children's book on display next to my two novels and a couple of anthologies that include my poems.



No comments:

Post a Comment