Search This Blog

Friday, March 26, 2010

Copyright and Library of Congress Number

I applied for my copyright for Brute Heart on November 2, 2009 through the Electronic Copyright Office (http://copyright.gov) . The application cost $35.00, and I have no other obligation but to send them two copies of my book once it has been printed. The paper application process is slightly more expensive, and if a person wants a rush job, much more expensive.

You may find it interesting to note that it may be another nine months before I actually receive my written copyright certification, but that does not prohibit me from publishing my work. In fact, the minute someone creates an original work, it is technically copyrighted. However, if a person wants full protection, he or she needs to register it with the US Copyright Office at copyright.gov . As soon as they receive your application and payment, your work is protected even if you have not received the printed certificate. This is a good thing, because with so many people self-publishing, the copyright process is taking a very long time.

The Library of Congress Number is a method of keeping track of book titles that may be added to their collection. The number, once assigned, is a way to reference the title or link it to lists maintained by libraries, book vendors, etc. At this time, the Library of Congress Number is only available to book publishers.

No comments:

Post a Comment