Search This Blog

Friday, November 9, 2012

More On Incentive to Write

This month I'm posting part of an article on writer's block from the November/December issue of Writer's Digest. The article, "Overcoming Writer's Block Without Will Power," was written by Mike Bechtle, author of the book, People Can't Drive You Crazy If You Don't Give Them the Keys. I enjoyed his creative way of expressing frustration and thought you might, too.

From Bechtle: "I've had writer's block since 1974.

Not all the time, of course, but it's been a regular visitor since I started writing professionallyy. I've spent hours with my fingers motionless on a keyboard, waiting for inspiration. When nothing happens, I escape into email, solitaire or the fridge, hoping the muse will be there when I return. I dust my office plants, make laels for file folders and read inspirational quotes about the writing life.

The muse doesn't come.

I've read dozens of articles about lhow to get the inspration back. One popular author said she gets motivated when her checking account balance is low. Another said you can't wait for inspiration, any more than you'd call your boss and say, 'I'm not coming in; I have worker's block.'

That made it worse. I felt like Rex, the dinosaur in Toy Story who said, 'Great. Now I have guilt!' Even wih all that expert advice, I still couldn't get the words on the page. I'd try to muster up willpower, but it was always short-lived.

That led to the only logical conclusion: I was the problem. If I were a 'real' writer, I would have the discipline to persevere, no matter what. Willpower would be my default setting. When I got stuck, I would just power through to literary success.

Sound familiar?"

From me: It's reassuring to find out that professional writers experience writer's block and mental lethargy once in a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment