So I yammer away, adding details such as:
- Her father is an alcoholic. (He's not the perfect father.)
- He's been mentally and physically abusive to her and her family. (far from perfect)
- I usually add, "not sexually abusive." (No salacious details in this story.)
- The father can't understand why his daughter won't do for him what she does for an old or wounded animal.
- Then I feel compelled to mention the young woman had to work her way through college and veterinary school, and if she were caught she would lose her hard-won license and end up in prison.
If you've read Brute Heart, what would you say if a person asked you, "What's it about?"