Search This Blog

Sunday, September 6, 2015

Too Old to Publish?

Am I too old to be an author? Have others (maybe even well-known authors) published noteworthy books after they were, let's call it, "mature?" I enjoyed writing from an early age, but didn't feel confident I could make it a career. It wasn't until I retired that I began writing in earnest, publishing Brute Heart in 2010 when I was sixty-seven.

I did a bit of research on this subject and found several well-known authors who published their most successful works while they were not one of those whippersnappers courted by today's agents and publishers. Note: books listed are not necessarily the first ones they wrote.


Author
Best-known Book
Age When Published
Norman Maclean
A River Runs Through It
73
Bram Stoker
Dracula
50
Raymond Chandler
The Big Sleep
51
Anna Sewell
Black Beauty
57
Laura Ingalls Wilder
Little House on the Prairie
65
Frank McCourt
Angela’s Ashes
66
Richard Adams
Watership Down
67
Mary Wesley
Jumping the Queue
71

No comments:

Post a Comment