Search This Blog

Monday, May 6, 2019

Sea Glass Published by Spank the Carp

Following on the heels of National Poetry Month, one of my poems was published May 1 in issue number 50 of the online magazine Spank the Carp. I was especially pleased by the message I received from editor Ken S when he informed me some time back my poem had been chosen.

Congratulations, I've decided to accept your work 'Sea Glass' for publication in SPANK the CARP.
-- Ginger: What a great "total" poem, in that everything about it works toward a single purpose. I loved the ebb and flow depicted in the shape of the stanzas. And the sounds too were well chosen. - Ken

Sea Glass  

A tiny jewel rolls in with the tide.
Before the briny pulls it back
I add it to the kaleidoscope cradled in my hand                        
            algae greens                             
                        whites frothy as foam               
                                      seaweed browns
and one oh-so-rare cerulean blue.

Surf pounds, sunlight dances   
water trickles through my toes               
while I pause to reflect on how long it took
                                    rocks and reef                         
                        salt and sand                            
            wind and waves                      
to smooth and gently etch these crystal gems.

Each fragment harbors the tale
of a vessel and what it might have stowed
before Poseidon’s fork broke it apart
            a lover’s note               
                        Coco’s perfume
                                    Jim Croce’s time       
or plain ol’ backyard beer.    

‘Twas the journey that glorified this glass     
not purpose, nor the one who held it last.
I will wrap these gems in silver and wear them  
                                    in my hair
                        ‘round my neck           
            on my toes       
as treasure discovered on faraway shores.
                                    Ginger Dehlinger

No comments:

Post a Comment