Search This Blog

Monday, September 7, 2020

Woman Walks Ahead

 


My husband and I are great movie fans. Our television is usually tuned to a movie channel all day. Not that we sit and watch movies all day, but I do stop for a scene here and there, and the audio produces the background sound I need to drown out the constant ringing in my ears.

Since my husband prefers westerns and war movies, I end up watching a lot of films from those genres. Once in a while I come across a real gem as I did last week when I watched the western, Woman Walks Ahead.

This indie film released in 2017, although not historically accurate, is a beautiful portrayal of the emotional bond that developed between a New York widow who traveled to the Dakotas in the 1880’s to paint Sitting Bull's portrait, and the iconic Native American himself.

Filmed in New Mexico, the scenery is breathtaking. Jessica Chastain’s acting is superb, and the portrayal of Sitting Bull as a humble, intelligent human being with a sense of humor is refreshing. Add history’s treatment of this man and his people that ended in the tragedy at Wounded Knee and you have a drama that was for me a real tear-jerker. I haven’t cried that hard for years.

I highly recommend this unheralded movie for its overwhelming hold on the eyes, the brain, and the heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment