Search This Blog

Thursday, June 10, 2021

A Father's Day Tribute

My father died in 1982 at the age of 64. We weren't close, primarily due to his alcoholism. Certain aspects of my relationship with him appear in  Brute Heart, although to make my story work I created a  father figure who was less loving and more unreasonable than my self-effacing Dad.

Since June is the month we celebrate Father's Day, I decided to share this poem I wrote that was inspired by my relationship with him. As time goes on I miss him more and more.

 First Hero

Children start out loving

the one who doesn’t make them eat spinach

the one who chucks them under the chin

when he comes home,

gives them nicknames

and piggy-back rides.

 

Over time and distance,

memories blur

enhance

soften

expunge the truth.

 

The filial bond may weaken

but it never goes away completely—

part love, part fear, part fantasy.
   

Ginger Dehlinger                                                 


No comments:

Post a Comment