Search This Blog

Sunday, November 7, 2021

May Books Live Forever

Webster’s Encyclopedic Unabridged Dictionary defines the word book as “a written or printed work of some length, as a treatise, novel, or other literary composition, especially on consecutive sheets of paper fastened or bound together in a volume.” The reference work continues for half a column with a list of alternate uses of the word—book of cards, book of tickets, book of accounts, by the book, book a flight, etc. There is no mention of e-book because my old well-used copy of the dictionary was published in 1983, two decades before Amazon launched Kindle.

I have a Kindle reader. Its content gives me almost the same pleasure as a conventional book, but I miss the smell and feel of paper in my hands. And when I finish reading an e-book, I can’t store it on my bookshelf, preserve a visual reminder of what takes place inside.

This month I received an email that included several cartoons illustrating how conventional books are losing favor, especially with the younger generations. The first two cartoons satirize what I hope isn’t actually happening in this age of ubiquitous technology. The third, imagines the first two are true and what that truth might look like when residents of some future dystopic culture discover a long-lost conventional book. Note the endurance of cell phones in cartoon number three.





As Jane Austen wrote in Pride and Prejudice, “I declare after all there is no enjoyment like reading! How much sooner one tires of any thing than of a book! -- When I have a house of my own, I shall be miserable if I have not an excellent library.”

Here's to libraries of the future. May their stacks be lined with tangible, mostly paper books.

No comments:

Post a Comment